My experience in educational travel includes individual travel, participating in organized trips, marketing travel experiences, managing a marketing department for a tour operator, freelance consulting, and serving as an adviser for conference developers.
- Served as Director of Marketing for luxury educational tour operator High Country Passage (HCP; now named World Leaders Travel). Clients included National Geographic, the Smithsonian, the American Museum of Natural History, and the National Trust for Historic Preservation, as well as the alumni associations of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, MIT, Cal Berkeley, Smith, and other distinguished institutions.
- In my first twelve months as Director of Marketing at HCP, total bookings increased by 98.5% and the fill rate increased by 27% over the previous year.
- Managed marketing department responsible for filling more than 100 trips/year using direct mail, e-mail, websites, magazine ads, and co-op programs. Department produced more than 100 brochures and four catalogs/year.
- Produced trip journals for 2007 World Leaders Symposium to the Balkans; lecturers included Secretary Madeleine Albright, William Perry (former U.S. Secretary of Defense), Peter Galbraith (former ambassador to Croatia). The print-on-demand books were very popular with experienced travelers (“We are completely blown away by the quality of what you have accomplished. Thank you very much.”) and can be viewed here.
- Participated in 3 two-week Earthwatch expeditions, assisting scientists with field research Argentina, Brazil, and Madagascar.
- Participated in planning sessions for the Educational Travel Community’s 23rd – 25th annual international conferences (2009 – 2011).
- Have traveled in more than 30 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Egypt, France, Fiji, Greece, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, Libya, Madagascar, Malta, Paraguay, New Zealand, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, Venezuela, Zimbabwe, and Zambia.
- Lived and worked abroad for more than one year as Senior Vice President at EuroRSGC-owned advertising agency; selected to open new office and develop business in Melbourne, Australia.
When I was Director of Marketing at High Country Passage (now World Leaders Travel), my clients included:
- American Museum of Natural History Expeditions
- UC Berkeley’s Cal Discoveries
- California Academy of Sciences Travel Program
- California Commonwealth Club’s Travel Club
- Harvard Alumni Association Travel/Study
- MIT Alumni Travel Program
- National Trust for Historic Preservation – Tours
- National Geographic Expeditions
- Smithsonian Journeys
- Stanford Travel/Study
- Yale Educational Travel