Likoma’s client, The Queen of QuickBooks, had identified small businesses that needed help with accounting but were not quite ready to make to move to take a class, hire a bookkeeper, or set up an integrated accounting system.
An e-newsletter is the perfect solution for maintaining contact with potential clients who will need your expertise at some (as yet undetermined) future time. It provides a vehicle for ongoing communications and keeps your company and services top-of-mind.
I worked with The Queen of QuickBooks to update the website and jumpstart the Queen’s e-newsletter. We made the monthly e-newsletter process easy by:
- Creating a template in Vertical Response.
- Uploading the existing e-mail list.
- Recommending a communications strategy (give away useful information, time topics to fit clients’ seasonal needs, link to informative white papers on the website, include humor to lighten a technical subject).
- Helping the client develop an editorial calendar, so she could plan a variety of topics for her monthly communications and time them appropriately.
- Assisting with copywriting and project management for the first few newsletters, until the client got the hang of doing it herself.
- Teaching the client to upload and send the newsletters in Vertical Response herself, so she had flexibility and low cost.
- Uploading copies of past newsletters to the client’s website, to encourage site visitors to sign up for the free newsletter.
- Revising the site layout, so the free newsletter signup button was more prominent.
- Providing ongoing technical, editorial, and strategic support on an as-needed basis, so the client had complete control over costs but could still get the job done.
The Queen of QuickBooks’ e-newsletter and website work synergistically to showcase the company’s expertise. The company’s web traffic and e-mail list have increased. And the Queen of QuickBooks herself is positioned as an expert in streamlining accounting systems and using accounting information make smart business decisions.